Aston Manor Academy and Aston Amateur Boxing Club have joined together to deliver a unique Boxing experience for the Aston Manor Academy students from the 2016/2017 academic year. The Boxing Academy is aimed at individuals with a range of boxing experience from novice through to competitive level boxers. Aston Boxing Club alongside Boxing Director (John Homer) will be overseeing the development of the boxers both physically and mentally. Emphasis will be made on improving the technical, physical and mental ability of each student athlete at the academy, we aim to achieve this through rigorous fitness testing, video analysis and boxing educational visits nationally.
Competitive bouts will primarily be held at various locations across the West Midlands with other competitions around the UK. Students will have direct access to the excellent state of the art sport and fitness facilities as part of their training programme. Each member of the Aston Manor Boxing Academy will be provided with a tailor made strength and conditioning programme. In addition to this, a huge emphasis will also be put on developing each boxers fitness, speed, agility and quickness to aid overall Boxing performance.
Students will potentially have opportunities to obtain additional nationally recognised qualifications throughout the duration of the course:
• Boxing Level 1 Qualification • First Aid Qualification
• Boxing Judging Qualification (with the view to gain a further Boxing Referee Qualification dependant on proficiency at a judging level)
• Experience leading a range of sports activities and festivals for Aston Manor Academy and Aston Boxing Club There are a number of pathways which students can follow upon completion of the
BTEC National Diploma in Sport and involvement within the Boxing Academy, these include:
• Sports related degree at a university
• Direct pathway to the sports industry, range of careers including; Sports Coach, PE Teacher, Fitness Instructor, Personal Trainer, Leisure Centre Manager, Physiotherapist)
• Full-time employment within the Sport and Leisure industry