Aston Manor Academy, East West Basketball Schools and All City Basketball have joined together to deliver a unique Basketball experience for the Aston Manor Academy students from the 2016/2017 academic year. East West Basketball Schools will be overseeing the player development of the Aston Manor Basketball Academy. Emphasis will be made on improving the technical, tactical, physical and mental ability of each student athlete at the academy we aim to achieve this through rigorous testing, video analysis and basketball educational visits both nationally and abroad.
Since this is an independent programme and is not affiliated to any one club, we are entirely focused on the development of each individual and any student athlete who attends the Aston Manor Basketball Academy; who will return to their own individual clubs an improved player in every aspect.
Both the Head Coach (Paul Douglas) and Associate Head Coach (Curtis Xavier) have played and coached at BBL level, played and coached at international level as well as having extensive national and international contacts for any student athletes wishing to extend their careers after leaving the Basketball Academy.
Home fixtures and regular training will be held at The Lighthouse Centre based in Birmingham. Students will have direct access to the excellent state of the art sport and fitness facilities as part of their training programme. Each member of the Aston Manor Basketball Academy will be provided with a tailor made strength and conditioning programme. In addition to this, a huge emphasis will also be put on developing each student athlete’s speed and quickness to aid overall performance.
Students will have opportunities to obtain additional nationally recognised qualifications throughout the duration of the course:
• Basketball Level 1 Coaching Qualification (with the view to gain a further Basketball Level 2 Qualification dependant on proficiency at a coaching level)
• Basketball Refereeing Course Level 1
• Table Officiating Course Level 1
• First Aid Qualification
• Experience leading a range of sports activities and festivals for Aston Manor Academy and East, West Basketball Schools
There are a number of pathways which students can follow upon completion of the BTEC National Diploma in Sport and involvement within the Basketball Academy, these include:
• Sports related degree at a university
• Direct pathway to the sports industry, range of careers including; Sports Coach, PE Teacher, Fitness Instructor, Personal Trainer, Leisure Centre Manager, Physiotherapist
• Full-time employment within the Sport and Leisure industry
To watch a video interview with some current Basketball Academy students please Click Here.