BTEC Level 3 in Applied Science
AIMS OF THE COURSE
• Level 3 Applied Science is an exciting and rewarding course, designed to support you in vocational science and moving into the science-based workforce.
• The course includes practicals, lectures, discussion, seminars, site visits, guest speakers, internet research and access to library resources.
• This course will develop your understanding of chemistry, biology and physical science in respect to its applications in a Science workplace.
WHAT WILL I LEARN ON THIS COURSE?
• Learn and develop practical skills that can be used in modern laboratories.
• Develop an understanding of fundamental scientific principles and a focus on human physiology and genetics.
• Opportunities to develop a range of skills and techniques, personal qualities and attributes essential for successful performance in working life.
STRUCTURE AND CONTENT: SUB DIPLOMA
Compulsory units covered:
• Unit 1 – Fundamentals of Science (10 credits)
• Unit 2 – Working in the Science Industry (10 credits)
• Unit 4 – Scientifi c Practical Techniques (10 credits)
Specialist units covered:
• Unit 5 – Perceptions of Science (10 credits)
• Unit 11 – Physiology of Human Body Systems (10 credits)
• Unit 18 – Genetics and Genetic Engineering (10 credits)
Additional units will be offered to pupils who qualify for the Diploma if it is offered.
These will include:
• Mathematical tools and calculation for science (10 credits)
• Scientifi c Investigations (10 credits)
And others linked to destinations of pupils after Sixth Form.
The Level 3 Applied Science course has been a stepping stone for past pupils going on to study nursing, childcare and occupational therapy. It links very well with the Level 3 BTEC in Health and Social Care.
Further details about any aspect of the course can be obtained from Mrs Astle (BTEC Lead Teacher and Lead Internal Verifier).
- Research laboratory
- Nurse Police
- Science technician